Thursday, September 4, 2014

Picture This

I don't know how smart it is to make this statement publicly but boy have I gotten the whole use of photos wrong! As part of the EduBlogs Teacher Challenge, I have learned a lot about the proper use of photos found on the internet.

I had been using Google images just like the next guy for years. In the past few months, I did learn how to do a search for certain licensed images and thought I was doing that right. I don't think I have been though. I would go to Google, do my search, click on image, click on search tools, click usage rights, and then choose the ones that are licensed for reuse. I just assumed that any image that was listed like that was safe; but that may not have been the case. On the other hand, I had always disregarded images from the Flickr domain and the Wikimedia domain. I now know that I was passing up a treasure trove of free and allowable images!

http://creativecommons.org
I learned a lot about Creative Commons and other free-to-use sites. For those not familiar with Creative Commons, it is a universal means of indicating what can be used (some with restrictions and some not) and in how it can be used (modifications allowed, commercial applications, non-commercial applications, etc.). I also learned how to cite those images. Using images that have a Creative Commons license is a great way to go.

Photo repositories are also a great place to find pictures to use. Here are a couple with some caveats or conditions that I was able to learn.

  • Flickr: Flickr allows you to search for images with a Creative Commons license. When you search, click Advanced Search or in the search results, click License and then choose Creative Commons. If you have a commercial site, you have to choose that option. Be sure to link back to the photo and still give credit. 
  •  ClipPix ETC: ClipPix ETC is part of the Florida's Educational Technology Clearinghouse and provides thousands of royalty free photos to use in education related material. They do have a limit of 25 items in a one project and it must be for non-commercial use only. 
  • Wikimedia: Wikimedia provides a plethora of images that are licensed through Creative Commons. 
  • Pixabay: This site is full of pictures that are listed as Public Domain and don't require attribution. However, good form says that you should provide a link. Be sure to read their terms of use so that you are aware of what their expectations are.
Image by DoremiGirl
via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0
Teaching our students about proper use of images online is a valuable tool they need to know in order to be digital citizens. The citing of images should be in line with what is acceptable by the school using the format chosen (MLA, APA, The Chicago Manual of Style, etc.). It is never too young to start citing too. The youngest students should at least provide a link back to the image if the idea of a bibliographical citation is too much for them.

Here are some sites that I found in researching this topic sharpening my own saw so to speak.

1 comment:

  1. Bill,

    I came across your post while completing Step 6 of Educator Personal Blog Challenge. Your post is concise yet filled with so much information. As a result of your post, I learned about Noble Blogger Guidelines & Free Bibliography generator

    I would like to invite you to come & visit my blog http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org/

    Best wishes.

    Purviben K. Trivedi-Ziemba

    ReplyDelete